I'm Betty Lou!

How do you do? Common sense for common folk ... but just because you're common doesn't mean you have to be ordinary.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

What do John Davidson and Turtle Brownies Have in Common?


In 1989 I cut a brownie recipe out of TV Guide because the picture of the brownies looked really good. I think I probably didn't actually make the brownies for another ten years or so. Too bad I waited because this recipe which I'm about to share with you are the best brownies ever ... did you hear me? EVER!!!
They're called "John Davidson's Turtle Brownies" and I think the recipe was in TV Guide because John and his wife Rhonda were co-hosts, at the time, of TNN's "Holiday Gourmet."
I toyed with the idea of claiming the recipe was mine. I mean, come on, it's been 18 years. I was going to call them "Betty Lou's - I died and Went to Heaven and St. Peter Handed m Some of These Turtle Brownies and Boy, Are They Good" but that wouldn't be right now, would it?
So, here, without shame and with a clear conscience, I give you the recipe for "John Davidson's Turtle Brownies:"
1 14 oz. package of caramels
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 box (18 1/2 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup softened margarine
1 cup nuts (walnuts and/or pecans)
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk on top of double boiler (when's the last time you heard "double boiler?"). Stir mixture until melted.
Combine cake mix, remaining milk and softened margarine. Blend until mixture holds together. Stir in nuts. Press half of cake mixture in a greased 13x9 inch pan and bake for six minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Pour melted caramel evenly over top. Crumble remaining mix over caramel and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightely and cut into bars.
How many kabillion calories? I have no idea. No one cared about calories in 1989. We were all too busy blow drying our big hair and pulling up our leg warmers. Forget the calories for once and enjoy. I promise they're worth it.

And thank you John Davidson where ever you are.