I'm Betty Lou!

How do you do? Common sense for common folk ... but just because you're common doesn't mean you have to be ordinary.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Jews are Offended - Women, Not So Much ...

"Jewish Groups Call for Hate-Crime Probe on Mel Gibson" screams the headline and the story says, "Calling for a criminal investigation into the Oscar-winning actor and director's remarks, Abraham Foxman, the national director of the US Jewish Anti-Defamation League, said: "We believe there should be consequences to bigots and bigotry."

You go, Jewish Groups!

But where is the outrage from women? Wasn't anyone offended by Gibson's referral to a female sherrif's deputy as "Sugar Tits?" I was and I think I'm even more offended by the lack of interest or attention paid to Mel Gibson's ugly sexist remark.

Mel is asking the Jewish Groups to help him along the healing path and offered the following words of contrition: "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words. Please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."

What about misogyny, Mel? Does that go against your faith too? Because calling a woman "Sugar Tits" is most surely an act of bigotry.

It would seem the Jews have some strong advocates who are rightly speaking up and out against the hateful words of Mel Gibson.

Again I ask, why aren't women doing the same?

I dare say it's a reflection on our culture and society that already diminishes women and their place in this culture and society and that makes me very, very sad.